The success of the Army National Guard depends greatly on the leadership of its officers. Are you interested in becoming an officer, leading the Guard into the future?
As an officer, you will make important decisions while leading others. Along with this, you are responsible for protecting your country and ensuring that all soldiers are doing the same to the best of their ability.
Three Types of Officers
It is a common myth that there is only one type of officer in the Army National Guard. Truth be told, there are three different categories:
1. Warrant Officers. As a commissioned officer, your main responsibility is to lead and teach as subject matter experts. You can become an officer regardless of your area of specialty.
2. Specialty Officers. Do you have specialized professional skills? If so, this is the type of officer you will become. These include: Judge Advocate General (JAG Officer), Chaplains, and Medical Professionals.
3. Basic Branch Officers. There are officers in the Combat Service Support branches (Transportation, Finance), Combat Support (Signal and Military Intelligence, Military Policy), and Combat Arms branches (Armor and Field Artillery, Infantry).
Are you a candidate to become an officer in the Army National Guard? There are several ways to earn your commission.
1. Reserve Officers? Training Corps (ROTC). If you want to earn your commission while attending college, this is the program for you.
2. West Point. There are two programs that allow you to attend the United States Military Academy (USMA) at West Point, New York. Although you have to be highly qualified to gain admittance, once you are enrolled you are well on your way to becoming an officer.
3. Direct Commission. Did you know that you could be nominated by a commander to receive direct commission as a specialty officer? This is available for Chaplains, Medical Professionals, and Legal Professionals.
4. Officer Candidate School. This leadership training course is both mentally and physically challenging. Most who attend Officer Candidate Schools are currently serving in the Army. However, qualified recruits are often accepted.
Finally, there are requirements for becoming an officer in the Army National Guard. Along with meeting general requirements, it is a must that you have military experience or a college degree.
Becoming an officer in the Army National Guard may not be simple, but it is definitely worth it in the long run.