WASHINGTON (AFNS) — December 22, 2015
Defense Secretary Ash Carter has expressed his deep regret over the loss of six U.S. service members killed in a vehicle bomb attack outside Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan, Dec. 21.
?We are still learning all of the details, but two other service members and a U.S. contractor were also injured,? Carter said in a statement released yesterday by the Defense Department. The loss ?serves as a painful reminder of the dangers our troops face every day in Afghanistan.?
The defense secretary noted that on each stop of his visit last week to Afghanistan — which included stops on Bagram and Forward Operating Base Fenty in Jalalabad — he saw U.S. and Afghan troops working side by side.
?Our troops are working diligently alongside our Afghan partners to build a brighter future for the Afghan people. Their dedicated efforts will continue despite this tragic event,? he said.
?Our deepest sympathies go out to the families of these brave Americans who died in service to this vital mission, and our thoughts remain with all of our troops serving overseas during this holiday season so that we may have peace and security at home,? Carter said.