When a member of any of the five Armed Services, The Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Army, or Coast Guard seeks training in how to communicate and document actions or events they are often sent to the Defense Information School for Training.
The DoD Defense Information School is a consolidated school from three former programs, the DoD Photography School, the DoD Visual Information School, and the Defense Information School. All of these programs were condensed and combined in fiscal year 1996 – 1998 into what is now known as the DoD Defense Information School. The School is a proud facility that continues the best in training on how to represent each of the services to the public in print, in the media, and in newspapers and magazines. The Defense Information school trains enlisted personnel to act as public affairs officers, journalists, military media liaison personnel, photographers, and other military based journalism personnel. It accepts students from each of the five branches of Armed Services in the United States.
Before the start of World War II, most of the public affairs mission for the Armed Forces was accomplished using the civilian press. War correspondents and other members of the Civilian media worked hard to diligently document and record events of the War. After World War II it was very apparent that the military itself should have its own formal public affairs mission and personnel whose job it is to perform their own documentation of events. The first effort was the Army Information School, which started in 1946, and operated through 1951. Members of each of the services attended the school, which was transferred and renamed in 1951 to be called the Armed Forces Information School.
From 1951 until 1961 the school struggled, and eventually due to not being able to meet their individual service quotas, the school went back to being called the Army Information School. Other services began to slowly send students to the school in 1961, and in 1964 it was again renamed as a joint service school: as the Defense Information school. From 1964 until 1992 the school was ran pretty much by the Army but was still considered a multi service Defense Information School. In 1992 the Department of Defense transferred functional consolidation and control of the Defense Information School over to the American Forces Information Service, which features representatives from all five of the Armed Forces. In 1995 the school was moved to its present location at Fort Meade, Georgia.