During active duty, you spent years honorably and selflessly protecting your country against various threats. As a US Veteran, it’s only fair that you and your family feel safe at home. Given all the competing home security systems around, picking the best option might be somewhat confusing.
Why You Need a Home Security System
The biggest reason for having a top-notch security system is to keep out intruders. Although the FBI reported a 7.6% reduction in burglary rates in 2017, there were still over 1.4 million home invasions. 2018 might have seen a further reduction but the statistics are not encouraging.
Other than thwarting potential intruders, you need a home security system because:
- It can act as an early warning system against fires. Though this is mainly done by smoke detectors, monitored alarm systems can alert the relevant authorities as well.
- Carbon monoxide detectors can be integrated into modern home security systems. Being colorless and odorless, carbon monoxide can build up to dangerous levels without being detected. As part of your security system, it can alert paramedics in the event of suspected CO2 poisoning.
- You can monitor elderly or sick family members and pets left at home without worrying about their well-being. You can also monitor your valuables even when out of town. According to statistics, Americans lose over $3 billion every year due to burglary.
- The more efficient your home security system is, the higher your chances of saving on homeowners insurance.
- A smart system can help you save energy costs. Advanced security features include the ability to monitor your lighting, thermostat, and some home appliances. It’s possible to remotely reduce energy consumption when no one’s at home.
- You can monitor parts of your house that are rarely accessed such as the attic and basement. An alarm system also makes it harder for a burglar to linger around and do any significant damage.
Fortunately, home security systems have been getting better with each passing year. Not only are they increasingly affordable, but they also have more technologically advanced features.
Discounts available to Veterans
Nearly all home security system dealers have some form of discount specifically for US Military Veterans. Most require you to provide a DD Form so as to qualify. This requirement ensures only deserving Veterans such as yourself benefit from discounts.
One popular discount is offered on new installations. You receive the system free so long as you pay the installation fee and commit to the necessary monthly charges. The longer you commit, the better your chances of saving. For instance, you get a bigger discount for a 3-year monitoring agreement compared to a 1-year commitment.
You could also receive a discount in the form of gift cards that you can spend on other purchases. Some companies add on more advanced features to Veterans’ home security systems for the price of a basic package.
Some providers might also offer to pay for your VetRewards membership for a certain period if you purchase their system. This allows you even more benefits which are available to holders of the Veterans Advantage Card. They include discounts on dining out, traveling, buying clothes, as well as other products and services offered by participating companies.
Nearly all companies offer Veterans special deals on Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Veterans Day, and other huge shopping events. By purchasing your home security systems around this time, you can snap up some juicy deals.
We Can Help
If you’re looking for the best security system for your home, security.usmilitary.com is your best bet. We specialize in scouting for the best deals for Veterans and other military members. Before suggesting a home security system, we thoroughly evaluate your needs.
We also compare different dealers to ensure you get the best system at the most affordable rates. For more on available discounts, please provide us with details of your exact home security requirements.