From the outside, you may think you know what a military wife is dealing with. However, this is a situation you cannot fully understand unless you have been in the position in the past.
Here are five things you should know, from the perspective of a military wife:
1. We don?t want to wait around for a deployment ? we just want it to come and go. This does not mean we want our husband to go away, however there is nothing worse than sitting around and waiting. In this case, we are forced to wait for the inevitable as we continually become more and more anxious.
Once our husbands are gone, we can get on a normal schedule and begin to settle in. Not to mention the fact that the sooner he leaves the sooner he can come home.
2. We don?t live our life in misery the entire time they are gone. There is nothing worse than watching our husbands leave, but this does not mean we sit around for months on end acting miserable. Instead, we focus on other things including children, family and friends, and work.
3. We rely on friends and family quite a bit. When you have a husband in the military you get used to an ever changing schedule. Even when our husbands are at home, schedules change all the time. For this reason, we are always relying on friends and family to help us get by. We love everybody who is there for us during this difficult time. From emotional support to helping with everyday tasks, there is nothing better than having a group of family and friends that you can rely on and trust.
4. Our children are just fine. There is no denying the sadness that a child feels when his dad is deployed. Fortunately, they adjust over time. Just like us wives, children are used to the fact that their dad will be leaving for long periods of time. We have many strategies in place to ensure that our children are well adjusted and knowledgeable of what is going on.
5. We don?t like being asked ?what are you going to do to keep busy?? Just like everybody else, we have activities and a life outside of marriage. We do not need to ?keep ourselves entertained? or change our life around to ?stay busy.? These comments can be insulting at times.