Although you may be worried about what Boot Camp will bring to your life, those who are properly prepared will have a much more enjoyable experience. Early on, your recruiter will give you a list of items that you can and cannot take with you to Boot Camp.
In high school and college, rules are extremely ?loose? and you may be able to get away with breaking these from time to time. However, in the United States Military this is not the case. If you are not allowed to do something in Boot Camp it is best to avoid it at all costs. Why get yourself in trouble if you don?t have to?
Here are a few items that you will want to take with you to Boot Camp:
– Personal bag (black in color) to hold your toiletries.
– Black shower shoes ? these will definitely come in handy.
– Although you are issued black wool socks, taking extras is always suggested.
– Shoe polish ? this will make you look good, and looking good is a big deal.
– Phone cards ? you will want to contact friends and family from time to time, right?
– Combo lock ? don?t make the mistake of bringing a traditional key lock. If you do, you may find yourself losing the key and locking yourself out of your locker.
– Foot cream and foot powder ? you will be spending a lot of time on your feet, so make sure you take care of them.
– One change of clothes ? while this may not sound like enough, once you reach Boot Camp all of your civilian clothes are taken away. Why bog yourself down with items that you don?t need?
No matter how prepared you are, as you arrive at Boot Camp you may realize something: you forgot an item that you really need.
Fortunately, you are not the only one who is going to be training for a life in the Military. For this reason, you should be able to ask a fellow soldier if you can borrow from them. Of course, if you are asked to share with another you should be willing to return to the favor. Remember, all these guys are your brothers now.
Note: all tobacco-based products are strictly prohibited. It would be in your best interest to stop smoking or using tobacco in any form as soon as possible. It is easier to do this now than when you actually enter Boot Camp.
As noted above, your recruiter will give you a list of what you are allowed to take with you to Boot Camp. You should follow this list down to every last detail. Even if you don?t think you will need something, take it with you anyway. You never know when it will come in handy.